Congratulations to the following schools and students who have been named winners in the Alu D&T Challenge 2015. Over 250 entries were received from schools throughout the UK – giving the judges a very tough job: Firstly reducing these to a shortlist of 15 entries, and then selecting the eventual winners.
Our judging panel was made up of experts in the field of materials engineering, architecture, packaging design and manufacturing. All commented on how much they enjoyed looking through the entries – and there was much intense debate as they cast their votes. They were impressed by the originality of students’ ideas, their creative approach to the design briefs and the many ways aluminium was used to contribute to the sustainability of the designs.
The winners will receive their prizes at our Celebration Event on 24th February, and we will share their designs here after the event. The winner of our Grand Prize of a trip to Germany will also be announced at this event.
If you’re not among the winners this year, don’t worry – the Alu D&T Challenge will be open for entries again in the next academic year! If you are one of the winners: “Congratulations!”
Vehicle of the future:
- Winner – individual: Molly Broome,(Year 7) Barr Beacon School – Walsall
- Winner – team: Rhiannon Strugess-Jacob, Jasmine Palmer, Jessie Leigh Craig and Jasmine Peters (Y9) Ysgol Glan-y-Mor – S. Wales
- Runners Up: Kirsten Hawkins and Julia Thwaites (Year 8) Colyton Grammar School – Devon
- Commended: Christopher Shaw (Y7) Kirkstyle Primary – East Ayrshire
Garden building for a creative homeworker:
- Winner – individual: Ella Coulter (Year 8) Alderley Edge School for Girls
- Winner – team: Charlie Hall, Ben Harris and Rhys Rowlands (Year 9) Ysgol Glan-y-Mor – S. Wales
- Runner up: Wiktoria Swiatkowska, Carys Nurse,Nicole Vaughan Jones and Jennifer Grant (Year 9) Ysgol Glan-y-Mor – S. Wales
Innovative new packaging solution:
- Winner – individual: Leon Andrews (Year 9) St. Ives School– Cornwall
- Winner – team: Will Williams and Sam Barlow (Year 9) St Ives School – Cornwall
- Runner up: Maia Uys (Year 9) St Ives School – Cornwall